Chickpea quinoa salad with spinach, cucumber, red onions, and pomegranate arils was on the menu this week, and it was also on our Thanksgiving table. It’s a hearty protein-rich salad that’s perfect for lunch or served with soup and a chunk of crusty bread for dinner. With its red and green colors, I think it would even work as part of a Christmas dinner.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 5 oz. baby spinach, chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small pomegranate, seeds removed
- 2 Persian cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, then sliced
- 1-2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 recipe Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 avocado
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (or see Instant Pot directions in post). Transfer to a bowl and let cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Place the chopped spinach in a salad bowl. Top with the quinoa, onion, pomegranate arils, cucumber slices, chickpeas, and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Add desired amount of vinaigrette and toss again.
- Slice avocado and add just before eating.
If you don’t care for pomegranate, try dried cranberries.