There’s a distinct scent when you walk into most Mediterranean restaurants too. Usually, it’s influenced by some fish, but it’s the fresh herbs and spices and refreshing vegetables, like cucumber, tomatoes, and olives, that really get to me.
So when I’m in a pickle for inspiration, I typically veer to the Mediterranean side of things. I had been meaning to cross this off my list months ago, but time escaped me. The first time I attempted this recipe, my Greek bean burgers fell apart so horribly, but tasted delicious. I finally got around to tweaking a few things, so I had the scents and flavors of the Mediterranean wafting through my apartment…with successfully sturdier Greek bean burgers too!
White cannellini beans provide the perfect blank canvas (and protein!) for this recipe because their often bland flavor is masked by the fresh herbs and spices packed into every bite. The shredded zucchini adds more texture and juiciness to this vegan and gluten free delight.
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 15oz can white cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup [packed] zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 4 kalimata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Red chili flakes, to taste (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (I used 8 turns)
- Salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil or nonstick spray for cooking
- Optional: 1/4 cup feta cheese
- In a small dish combine ground flax seeds and water. Mix and set aside for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork. Then add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Add flax egg and continue to combine.
- Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours to allow the mixture to set and flavors to meld.
- Once time has elapsed, remove from the refrigerator and form into [about 4] patties.
- Heat oil-coated skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is hot (this is important!), cook patties for 4 minutes on each side, carefully flipping, until a golden crust forms. Serve immediately with hummus and/or tzaziki over salad or stuffed in a whole grain pita.
- Leftovers can stay refrigerated for up to 5 days.