Mung Bean Salad with Butternut Squash and Grated Coconut
- 1/2 pound dried mung beans, soaked overnight
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 small clove garlic, minced to paste
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Dukkah spice (recipe below)
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Small piece fresh coconut, grated
- Fresh mint, for serving
Heat oven to 425. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add mung beans and simmer until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool. Meanwhile whisk together 4 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and garlic. Pour half the mixture over beans and let sit while squash roast.
Toss squash with remaining two tablespoons olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper and spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and toss immediately with Dukkah spice. Use more if desired. Let cool to room temperature.
Combine beans and squash in a serving bowl. Toss with remaining pomegranate dressing. Scatter pomegranate seeds on top and grate fresh coconut over the whole mix. Serve with fresh mint. A large dollop of yogurt would be good too.
- 1 cup pistachios, gently toasted
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, gently toasted
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds, gently toasted
- 1/4 cup cumin, gently toasted
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Ground black pepper
Combine toasted and cooled nuts and spices in the work bowl of food processor. Add salt and a few pinches black pepper. Pulse to create a dry and crumbly mixture – stopping before spice blend becomes a paste. Store in an airtight container and sprinkle on everything you can think of.