I ate this loaf for a few days then froze the rest of the slices for later. Turns out, it still tastes fantastic when reheated. I would however recommend leaving the sauce off if you plan on freezing. So what do you think? Almost 13g of protein and 15g of fiber per serving. Can I get a YES!
The Most Delicious Meatless Black Bean Meatloaf with Creamy Avocado Verde Sauce
- Serves: 1 black bean meatloaf
- Serving size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Fiber: 15.1g
- Protein: 12.7g
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots or 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if you like heat
- 1/4 cup finely diced cilantro
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup sweet corn (organic preferred)
- 1/2 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (you can make your own!)
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons finely diced cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Mix flaxseed meal and 1/2 cup water to a small bowl and place in the refrigerator while you make the rest of the loaf. The flaxseed meal will help bind the loaf together.
- Place large pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add in onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots and jalapeno; saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent and carrots begin to soften a bit. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spices and cilantro; set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend beans from 1 can. Transfer to the bowl with the sauteed veggies, and stir in the remaining beans along with the corn, oats, oat flour, and flaxseed meal (from the fridge!). Add salt and pepper, then taste and add more spices or salt and pepper if desired.
- Add mixture to prepared loaf pan, pressing and smoothing to the side to make sure it bakes evenly. Bake loaf for about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Make the sauce by combining salsa verde, mashed avocado and cilantro in a medium bowl. Smooth over black bean loaf once ready to serve. Makes 6 servings.
This is freezer-friendly, simple wrap tight or place in a freezer safe ziploc bag. Will stay good for up to 3 months. You can also bake and then freeze it in the loaf pan, just ensuring that it is tightly covered.
I recommend leaving the sauce off if you plan on freezing.